Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Update from Marion, VA

   Putting pictures on here seems to be a bit strange so I will upload most of them to Facebook. If I haven't said so already my trail name is Simba. I guess I look like a lion? Who knows, I like it though.
   Anyways, it is Wednesday, May 5th and I am now 1/4 of the way done with my hike. The past month and a half have gone by so quickly. In the beginning the trail was littered with thru hikers but ever since Trail Days on May 17th-19th people have been dropping like flies. The trail no longer seems like a social event around a camp fire. As you have probably guessed I am still hiking with Lighthouse and Bobsled. Lighthouse and I believe we may have gotten some kind of food poisoning from bad pepperoni or summer sausage. So for a few days it got a little tough, but we still managed to average about 20 plus miles everyday the past week. After 530 miles I am officially hiker trash.

A few things I have learned:
  1. Most people thru hiking the AT had no previous hiker experience. Thankfully I was not the only one.
  2. Hitch hiking is fun for the first couple times. After that it is pretty boring and repetitive.
  3. It will rain almost every day.
  4. It is a very small world. Forget six points of seperation; more like two points of seperation.
  5. Carry plenty of toilet paper.
  6. The trail provides.
What I am eating:

Ramen Noodles, Instant Potatos, Snickers Bars, Trail Mix, Beef Jerky, Tuna, Peanut Butter

What I'm tired of eating:

Ramen Noodles, Instant Potatos, Snickers Bars, Trail Mix, Beef Jerky, Tuna, Peanut Butter

Oh and I miss my family.

Simba
"Everything the light touches..."

3 comments:

  1. Do your parents have a list of Post Office's where they are sending you "stuff?" :)

    Happy Trails to you . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the updates coming Simba. Good luck with the rest of the trail!

    ReplyDelete